Finest Kind's Sea Bass Pasta E Pesche
Simple and delicious!
- Start with a fresh Seabass or Sea Robin ( yes Sea Robbin, they are GREAT for this dish ) gutted, scaled and with all fins clipped off.
- In a pot, saute a small onion and 6 cloves of garlic in EVOO. Cook until you have a light brown color, but watch close and don't burn them.
- Now add a can of San Marzanno tomatoes and break them up into bits with your wooden spoon while they cook.
- Add a bunch of basil as is with stems and leaves attached ( will be fished out later but the whole branch gives better flavor)
- Add a half handful of chopped parsley and a couple sprigs thyme
- Add salt and red and black pepper and cook the sauce for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile get another smaller pot of water boiling, salt the water and cook up some Orzo (small rice shaped pasta) drain the pasta in a screen then put the cooked pasta back in the small pot
- Now back to the large pot, taste the sauce and adjust salt and pepper to your liking. I like it hot and spicy!
- Now put the whole fish in the sauce. If it is too long for the pot cut it into sections but be sure to include the head, that's what really favors this dish
- Cook in the covered pot at a simmer for 10 mins or so. The fish will be done when the eyes pop out. Sorta like a Purdue chicken with the pop up thermometer !
- Now remove the fish carefully to a serving platter, then fillet the fish with a spoon.
scoop out the cheeks and reward yourself with those, the best part of the fish!
- Now spoon some of the sauce into the small pot with the cooked orzo and reheat.
- Spoon the orzo into bowls and serve along with the fish fillet.
- Sprinkle some chopped parsley and grated cheese over the top and enjoy!