Monday, December 2, 2013

Thanksgiving Eve Duck Hunt

My duck hunt on Thanksgiving Eve was one of those hunts you dream about. It was raining and windy all morning perfect for duck hunting, but I was stuck in the office.

I had planned to leave around 11:30 to go hunt the afternoon. Unfortunately the forecast called for the rain to stop right around noon. 

Well at 11:30 I went home grabbed my stuff and the dog and hopped in my buddies truck and we drove down to our field in Smyrna DE to set up for the afternoon. We met my dad, and a couple of his friends at the field and the 5 of us were quickly setup in the pit and to my surprise the rain was coming down steady and the wind was picking up.

Ducks were all over the place and we quickly had 2 singles come in about 5 minutes apart and got both. From their on we didn't go more than 15 minutes without a shot. We finished our 5 man limit of 30 ducks and were packed up and off the field by 4:15 with still around half an hour of shooting time left. 

It was an awesome day and one you only get in those types of conditions. 

We shot 20 mallards, 5 blacks, 4 teal and a mallard/black hybrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment