Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Fishing Report! - Trophy Striper Fishing

On Monday I got invited by a buddy of mine to take a trip out of Kent Island to do some trophy striper trolling. While I enjoy doing this on my own, it is nice to take a trip once in a while where all you need to do is sit back and reel em in.

We chartered the Independence out of Kentmorr Marina on Kent Island. Captain Joey took us out of the marina and after a short run the baits were in the water and we were trolling. Another reason why I like taking trips with professional captains is you get to see what they use in their spread and how they run their spread. I noticed that Captain Joey segregates his colors, all chartruce on one side and all white on the other. While I had heard some people do this I have never seen it or done it like this myself. It was also interesting to see that Captain Joey does not use umbrella rigs, just tandem parachute rigs.

After setting the 14 rod spread we began to troll south and after about 20 minutes we had our first hit. With it being so cold and windy everyone was huddled in the heated cabin except myself and another angler. We both saw one of the boat rods start bouncing and taking drag, but right as I got the words "fish on" out of my mouth it was off. After another couple of minutes one of the board rods started bouncing and taking drag, this fish wasn't so lucky and after a short fight we had a nice 30+ inch fish in the boat. We continued to whack away at them all morning and despite one short lull we had our 6 man limit of Stripers in the boat by 9:45. After eating lunch we headed in and Captain Joey cleaned our catch for us.

Some interesting notes from today. Every fish but one was caught on chartruce. The white side didnt get any love until the last fish of the day. The Independence is a 42' Custom Boat built by Captain Joey himself. This boat is a thing of beauty, very clean and a fishing machine.

Here is a picture of our catch:



For anyone interested in fishing with Captain Joey check out his website at www.captainspridecharters.net

No comments:

Post a Comment